- When a student calls to register for private lessons, they are notified that they must pay a $35 Registration Fee on their first visit. The Registration Fee is nonrefundable.
- When a lesson time has been established, payment arrangements will be made with the Registrar. Students may pay for the entire semester (ending 12/31, 5/31, or 8/31) or at least one month in advance. Payments are due the first week of each month. Automated payment is available through our Direct Billing program. Please inquire with the Registrar for more information.
- ACMS does not provide written confirmation of a student’s enrollment in a class. Please note the starting times of classes and events upon enrolling.
- Late Enrollment: No new entries will be allowed for group classes beyond the first meeting without permission from the instructor.
The Armstrong Community Music School is proud of our faculty. When you establish a lesson time, please remember that you have reserved the time of a highly trained professional, and make every effort to attend your lessons. Your musical progress and enjoyment increase with regular instruction and a firm commitment to a home practice routine.
- Once you have established a standing lesson time, you are responsible for payment whether you are able to attend the lesson or not.
- Prior notification of an absence does not exempt the student from payment.
- In the event of a teacher’s absence, the lesson will be made up at a mutually convenient time or you will not be charged for the missed lesson.
- As a courtesy to the instructor and to maintain room reservations, please notify your teacher as far in advance as possible of any absence. If you cannot contact your teacher, please call the Registrar at (512) 474-2331.
- All lessons must occur on premise. Liability insurance considerations do no permit lessons off site.
- Because of our faculty's tight lesson schedules, students who are late for a lesson cannot be guaranteed their full lesson time. Faculty will wait for a student for one third of their lesson time (10 minutes for 1/2 hour lessons, 15 minutes for 45 minute lessons and 20 minutes for 1 hour lessons); students are asked to do the same.
- Missed lesson or class time due to faculty tardiness will be made up at a mutually convenient time. If a missed lesson can not be made up, then that portion of the student’s tuition may be refunded or applied to a future lesson
Private Instruction Long-term Absences
Prior notification of 3 or more consecutive absences will constitute a temporary leave, and the student will not be charged for lessons missed. This allows for some flexibility during the summer and holiday season. However, teachers are not required to hold a student’s spot in their schedule after a temporary leave.
If severe inclement weather or other emergency requires the school to close, we will notify you via our website as well as through updating our voicemail message.
Summer Private Instruction Policies
- For students who will only be gone for a short and specific period of time (i.e. a two week vacation in July):
- Teachers can give the option of making up the missed weeks at any point during the summer.
- Any student gone for three consecutive weeks, with advance notice, is considered to be “on a leave of absence”. In that instance, no charge will be applied to their account and no makeup is offered by the teacher.
- For students who will be attending sporadically through the summer months:
- Students need to schedule at least six lessons from June 1 through August 31.
- Students will only be responsible for attending these six lessons.
- For students who choose to take the entire summer off:
- Students forfeit the right to have priority scheduling in the fall.
- Students who wish to take the summer off but want to assure their priority in their teacher’s schedule will need to pay for six lessons.
Fees & Payments
Private Instruction Tuition and Fees
- Registration fee: $35 per family; one-time only (nonrefundable)
- Private Instruction: $32.50 per 30 minutes; $48.75 per 45 minutes; and $65 per hour
Class/Ensemble Tuition and Fees
- Registration fee: $35 per family; one-time only (nonrefundable)
- Please refer to our current course listing for tuition details
- Payments for Private Instruction will be due the first week of each month. Payments for Classes/Ensembles are due at the time of registration.
- We accept cash, check, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express).
- Please make checks payable to Armstrong Community Music School or ACMS, Inc. All returned checks are subject to a fee of $25.00.
- ACMS offers Direct Billing to its Private Instruction families. At the end of each month, ACMS will total your individual or family charges for private instruction and bill that sum directly to the credit card number you provide when choosing this payment method. Payments occur between the 1st & 3rd of the month. Please inquire at the Registrar’s desk for further information.
- All accounts are periodically audited by ACMS staff. Any discrepancies will be resolved as soon as they arise.
Class/Ensemble Tuition Assistance
- Charitable contributions allow ACMS to offer partial tuition assistance to those who demonstrate a need.
- To apply for tuition assistance, a form must be submitted to the Registrar for the Director of Finance and Administration’s review.
- Assistance will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Applications are kept confidential and must be updated each semester.
- Continued assistance is dependent upon attendance and instructor/staff evaluation.
- Student accounts must be up-to-date in order to receive any financial assistance.
- ACMS reserves the right to discontinue any financial aid award because of frequent absences, tardiness, or delinquent payments.
Refunds, Withdrawal, and Class Cancellation
Refunds and Withdrawal
- Notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to the ACMS Registrar. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org is acceptable.
- Lapsed attendance from lessons or classes does not excuse a student from their obligation to pay. The Director of Finance and Administration will determine tuition refunds, if applicable, after consultation with the instructor.
- If notice of withdrawal is received at least 7 days before the next scheduled private lesson, all prepaid tuition will be refunded. The student will still be responsible for any balance due.
- Tuition paid for a group class or ensemble registration will be refunded in full if notice of withdrawal is received at least 7 days before the first scheduled class meeting. Registration fees are non-refundable.
- Classes that do not enroll the required minimum number of students 5 days prior to class convening may be cancelled.
- Students that have paid for a cancelled class will receive a refund or may apply credit to another class or private lesson with permission of the Director of Finance and Administration.
Placement for Private Instruction
- ACMS staff will assign prospective students to instructors based on teacher availability, as well as the student's learning style, age, and interests.
- Private lessons are arranged by the instructor directly with the student.
Instruments and Sheet Music
Students are responsible for obtaining their own instruments and sheet music. ACMS staff or faculty can provide students with names of reputable dealers in the Austin area.
The Armstrong Community Music School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate based on race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, tuition assistance programs and other school-administered programs.
Our facility is fully accessible and all programs are open to students with special needs. Students are responsible for their own medications; school personnel will not administer medications to students.