Dear Students and Families,
Thank you for your patience, flexibility, and continued engagement with music. We are looking forward to slowly and safely reopening our business for private instruction. As we have discussed how best to do this, it was of the utmost importance to us that we be able to provide you and our faculty with options to ensure everyone is comfortable and safe. To that end, we will continue making remote lessons through ZOOM an option for you if you so choose. Here are our guidelines for the near future:
- From now until June 15th, all private instruction will remain as it currently stands – ZOOM lessons in which family payment goes directly to faculty.
- Beginning June 15th, students (excluding voice students) have the option of continuing ZOOM lessons or scheduling in-person lessons at ACMS. Scheduling of your lesson day and time will continue to be arranged directly with your instructor, but payment for lessons will go through ACMS at the normal private instruction rate.
- Voice lessons will not resume through ACMS until July 1; voice lessons must be conducted via ZOOM for the remainder of the summer.
- For in-person lessons, ACMS will be implementing safety procedures including:
- Spacing teacher schedules so that there is a 10-minute break between lessons to allow for classroom sanitization
- Requiring students to wait for their lessons in their vehicle until their instructor comes out to meet them
- Requiring all adults and children ages 10 and over to wear masks while on-site
- Beginning June 15 (July 1 for voice students) if a student wishes to continue lessons via ZOOM, they must enroll in Direct Billing through ACMS. Please call 512-474-2331 or email email@example.com starting on June 1 to inquire about this option.
Why no voice lessons in the building this summer? In short, because studies are showing that singing is one of the most effective ways to spread the virus and we want to keep you and our customers as safe as possible. In early May several of the nation’s leading singing and choral organizations put together an expert panel to discuss what singing will look like for the time being. You can read an article summarizing the conversation by visiting this link.
We know what a big step starting private instruction can be for a student. We’re here to help make that step meaningful, rewarding and long lasting. The more information we have about interests, goals, previous experience and expectations, the better we’ll be at personally placing you or your child with one of our fine instructors.
Individual music instruction is available in piano, voice, violin, viola, cello, guitar, bass guitar, lute, flute, composition, music theory and recording engineering. For instruments not currently taught at our facility, we do maintain a list of referrals so please feel free to call us for a recommendation.
Each student is ready for private instruction at different points, but here are some general age guidelines that might be helpful in your decision making process:
- Piano – ages 5 and up
- Violin – ages 5 and up
- Flute – ages 5 and up
- Guitar – ages 6 and up
- Cello – ages 7 and up
- Composition, theory, sight-singing – ages 10 and up
- Recording engineering – ages 12 and up
- Electric Guitar and Bass – ages 12 and up
- Voice – ages 14 and up
We understand that the student-teacher relationship is an important bond for the success of lessons and we match students and teachers according to the student’s age, musical interests and experience, as well as according to time frame requests.
*Effective June 1st, 2017* Private instruction tuition is $32.50 for 30-minute lessons, $48.75 for 45-minute lessons, and $65 for an hour of instruction. The Armstrong Community Music School has a one-time $35 registration fee per family. This charge covers all of our programs and is valid for an entire household.
If you are interested in signing up for private lessons and would like to discuss options or have questions, please call (512) 474-2331 or contact us. Otherwise, please visit our Private Instruction Inquiry page and fill out the form. Someone will respond to you as quickly as possible.